The mission of the Bel Air Elementary School Counseling Program is to support and encourage students' personal, academic, and social growth through collaboration with school staff, parents, and the community in order to help students become lifelong learners and valuable citizens of their community.
Students at Bel Air Elementary School work hard to achieve their goals, learn to their fullest potential and succeed in life. All students will participate in comprehensive classroom guidance lessons and will have access to small group and individual counseling. This which will allow them to achieve academically and personally, develop socially, and build career readiness. Bel Air Elementary students will become successful life-long learners, as well as productive and responsible citizens in the community.
Beliefs and Philosophy Statement
The school counselor of Bel Air Elementary School believes:
* All students have dignity and worth and can be successful
* A school counseling program is an essential part of Prince William County Schools’ overall education process.
* Growth and learning are developmental; therefore, school counseling programs must be developmental and sequential.
* All students K-5 should have access to a full-time, state-certified school counselor to deliver the counseling program.
And that the school counseling program should:
* Provide a support network for all students, K-5, that includes school staff, parents, and community members
* Have opportunities for all students to receive counseling and guidance in the academic, career, and personal/social domains based on The American School Counselor Association Standards
* Help students to develop positive character traits and learn skills that will help them become productive citizens.
* Be planned and implemented in a way that considers all students' ethnic, cultural, racial, and special needs
* Use data to drive program development and evaluation
And that all school counselors in Bel Air Elementary School shall:
* Abide by the professional school counseling ethics as advocated by the American School Counselor Association
* Participate in professional development activities essential to maintain a quality school counseling program.